Friday 29 March 2013

Looking For A Midnight Snack

Upon arriving home the other day, I was welcomed by these tasty looking treats on the kitchen table.  My lovely assistant had passed the day hard at work in the kitchen, and one of the results was these Parmesan crisps.  They looked so good that I felt I couldn't pass up this opportunity to take a shot at doing some food photography.  After doing a little arranging I pulled out the camera and began shooting away.  For a light source, I have a large window in the kitchen that faces the setting sun, so that was an easy problem to solve.  More difficult, was waiting to actually eat these delicious snacks while I was trying to get the perfect shot.  I finally found one I was satisfied with by shooting at f/2.8, 1/40sec, ISO 800 at 34mm.  Even with the setting sun, I had to up the ISO in order to make sure that my shot wouldn't have been ruined by camera shake.  In retrospect, it would have made much more sense to get out the tripod and leave the ISO at a lower number.  Tripod or not, I still would have used a large aperture in order to throw the background out of focus, though I think I would have preferred to shoot it at f/4.  Again, I'll make sure to use the tripod next time, though I'm not sure that my lovely assistant will appreciate the added intruder in the kitchen.  I'm not sure that this photo is ready to be used in Ricardo's next magazine, but the chef was happy so that's a good sign.  Now, if you'll excuse me, there's still a few crisps left, and I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment