Wednesday 27 March 2013

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other

 Those of you who keep tabs with the frequency of my updates may have noticed that last week saw a bit more activity than usual both here and at my Facebook site (Eric Mahannah Photography don't forget to head over there and 'Like' the page if you haven't done so already).  I had the good fortune of being on vacation and I wanted to make sure that my time was well spent and that my camera was well used.  One of the photographs I really wanted to get during my week off was the shot you see here on the left of the page.  It's probably a photograph that some of you have seen before as it's not exactly a secret location.  This shot was taken from the observation deck on Mount Royal and it's one that I've wanted to take for a while now.  Being from Montreal, the skyline at night is a thing of beauty, especially with all of the buildings lit up.  As an added bonus, you even get to see the Champlain and Victoria Bridges from this location, and by waiting for the sun to go down, you get to play with the exposure time to capture the lights of the South Shore, the regions mountains and the light streaks of the passing cars.  To be truthful, there was very little traffic when I took this picture, so the streaks of light from the passing cars were few and far between.  I still managed to capture a couple.  I posted two versions of this photo as a way of trying to perhaps share some opinions.  I was just wondering if anyone had a preference about the colour of the sky.  The general rule is that it's always best to leave the sky a little blue, but I've always found that the darker the sky gets, the sharper the lights of the buildings appear.  Pitch black isn't an option, but sometimes I like a little dark blue in my pictures as well.  Feel free to let me know how you feel.  The first shot was taken at f/14, 10sec, ISO 100 at 62mm.  The second shot was taken at f/14, 7 sec, ISO 100 at 62mm.  I know what you're thinking, it doesn't make any sense for the second photograph to have a shorter exposure time than the first, and you're right.  However, the second shot was taken 15 minutes after the first.  That's right, I waited 15 minutes in one spot just to get a photo.  Actually, I was there for a little over 45 minutes taking shots as the wind kept pushing my tripod around a little each time.  Now you see why it's hard for me to find people to go on photography outings with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment