Saturday 2 March 2013

Walking On, Walking On The Moon

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  This morning I saw a photograph that my professor, Richard Anber, had posted to his Facebook page and I thought it was so cool in it's simplicity that I had to go out and give it a shot myself.  It was nothing more than a photo of a footprint in the snow, but it managed to do something that I haven't done for myself in a while.  It got me and my camera out of the house.  He added a subtitle to his photo, "That's one small step for man..." a link to the moon landing, so I decided to follow in that vain and boldly go where I have never gone before (with any real success)...using Curves in Photoshop.  I took the original photo at  f/22 1/60sec ISO 100 at 46mm.  As you might imagine, the image was rather white.  That's when I decided to let the magic of Photoshop go to work.  I'd like to give a little tutorial on Curves at this point, but the truth is that I just placed a couple of anchor points and just generally moved the curves around until I got what I was looking for.  That being turning the white snow into a grey lunar surface.  So, Mr. Anber, thanks for all of the info you've passed along over the years and thanks for getting me out of the house today.  Although I did break your golden rule about spending more time using Photoshop than taking the picture.  I'll try to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment