Monday 22 April 2013

Do You Eat The Red Ones Last?

A little while back I found myself trying to find a photograph in the organized mess that is my hard drive.  As often happens, I end up coming across a folder of photos I had taken at some other time and next thing I know, I'm going from folder to folder just looking at all of the photos that I've taken over the past several years.  This time I ended up in the folder of class project photos I had taken while at Concordia and was reunited with a photo I took for a class called Colour - Photographic Styles.  The course dealt with lighting and composition.  One of the assignments was to photograph every day items that would not normally seem photogenic but could be used to create a colourful photo.  I ended up using a plate of Smarties.  I was going to be lazy and just post it here, but what better excuse to eat some Smarties then to photograph a plate of them.  I poured my subjects onto the plate and put them next to the window for light.  I used a 60mm Macro lens to take the picture.  A Macro lens acts kind of like a magnifying glass.  Truthfully, one of the reasons I took this photo was because it had been a while since I used that lens and I like to dust them all off and give them some action every now and then.  This shot was taken at f/13, 1/60sec, ISO 100 at 60mm.  I ended up taking several pictures of the Smarties at several different apertures in order to play around with the depth of field.  The wider apertures gave some nice background blur, but in order to make the most of the colour, I chose to keep as many of the Smarties in focus as possible.  I think the Smarties make for a very colourful photo, and to answer the question in the title, no, I don't eat the red ones last.  It's always been purple for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment