Sunday 7 April 2013

Hockey Morning In Greenfield Park

I've been pretty much spending all of my free time since Friday going through the photos I took for the Romeo vs Juliette show, and as I previously mentioned, those photos will be getting a blog post of their own in the very near future.  However, I was happy to see a Facebook message left by my friend Emmanuel who was letting the world know that his daughter Florence and her hockey team would be playing in Greenfield Park in a Sunday morning Semi-Final Midget B game as part of the Coupe Dodge tournament.  Knowing a good opportunity when I see one, I packed up the camera and decided to head out to the Cynthia Coull for a little camera practice.  Sometimes cameras aren't always welcome in arenas, but since I knew one of the coaches I figured that it wouldn't be a problem.  It ends up that my 'connections' weren't even necessary as there were plenty of cameras in the stands, and it didn't end up costing me anything to get in as one of my former teachers Mr. Hnatchuk was kind enough to cover the price of my ticket to get in.  Thank you, sir. I brought along two lenses for the games, my Canon 75-300mm and Canon 24-70mm.  I used the 75mm-300mm during the first period, but the low light in the area didn't mesh very well with the max f/5.6 aperture that I could use.  Even by upping my ISO to 1600 I wasn't getting enough speed.  So, it was time to change plans.  Out came the 24-70mm which allowed me to shoot at f/2.8, which enabled me to get a better speed to capture the action.  I wasn't able to zoom in on the action, so that meant doing some post-production cropping.  Florence is the goaltender for her team so I decided to place myself at her end of the rink for all three periods.  Being one person, I knew covering the entire rink wasn't really possible and when photographing hockey, most of the interesting action happens around the nets so my strategy was simple.  Stick with the goalie. These photos aren't Sports Illustrated crisp, but Sports Illustrated didn't lend me a lens for the afternoon and sadly the Greenfield Park arena isn't as well lit up as the Molson Centre.  Still, I was hoping to be able to freeze the action and get some good shots of Florence for her and her family.  I'm happy with the shots and I'm not going to let a little 'noise' bother me. All of the shots were taken in AV mode at f/2.8, except for the first shot which was taken at f/5.6.  They were also all taken at ISO 1600.  In order of appearance, the speeds that ended up being used were 1/200sec, 1/250sec, 1/640sec, 1/400sec, 1/320sec, 1/320sec and 1/400sec.  The high speeds are necessary ofcourse so that the action can be frozen.  I'm really happy that in most of the photos even the puck is frozen in midair.  Sadly, there was no fairy tale ending for the day.  Florence's team, the Champlain Rapids, lost the game 3-1, but the girls were all smiles after the match.  So was I.  Maybe I'll be able to get myself invited to a few more matches next season, I'd sure appreciate the chance to continue working on getting good shots.  Maybe next year I'll even be able to capture them hoisting a Cup of their own.



No comments:

Post a Comment