Monday 1 July 2013

O' Canada

Happy Canada Day to all of my fellow Canadians out there, or as we call it here in La Belle Province, Happy Moving Day!  I went out for on a little hunt for a Canadian Flag to photograph yesterday.  Yes, on June 30th.  Some things will never change and I will probably forever be Mr. Last Minute.  Calling it a 'hunt' is probably not the right word.  I went to a place where I have taken many other photographs in the past, Saint-Lambert's War Memorial at Parc Mercille.  When I got there, my hopes were immediately dashed as the flag was all tangled upon itself.  It almost looked like the flag was tucked into its own folds as it was wrapped around the pole.  Then the magic started to happen.  I've stated here in the past that I'm not really the most spiritual person there is, but I do believe that there are certain 'forces' out there that can give you a helping hand.  The wind began to blow a little stronger, and ever so slowly, the flag began to fight its way out of the knot it had tied itself into.  I stood and watched for a few minutes as the flag fought it's way free and began to wave in all of its glory.  I quickly focused in on the flag, set my camera to High Speed Continuous Shooting Mode, which in the case of my camera is 5 frames per second, and shot away.  I choose to shoot in High Speed because I didn't want to miss the flag being on full display as it blew in the wind.  I shot the photograph at f/8, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  I framed the shot in a way so that the viewers eye would follow the pole all the way up to the flag.  I also thought it was important to have both walking paths at opposite ends of the photograph.  Hope you all have a great Canada Day, and a big thanks to the 'forces' behind the freeing up of that flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment