Monday 27 October 2014

Airbourne - Live

It's been a little bit over a week since my first photograph from the Airbourne concert I attended at the Corona Theatre made an appearance on these pages.  In the days since, I've tried to repeat my concert going experience and published photographs that I took of each of the bands.  Those of you who have been following at home probably don't need the reminder, but in keeping future viewers in mind, the first band to hit the stage was One Bad Son (Official Site) and the second group out were The Glorious Sons (Official Site).  I've pretty much discussed the entire experience with you all over the last three posts, so I don't really have much more to add here.  There were two specific moments that I wanted to try and capture while Airbourne was on the stage.  The first was to capture a beer arc.  During the show, singer  Joel O'Keeffe smashes a beer can and swings it around.  My friend Pierre Bourgault got such a photo last time they were in town and I really liked it.  Sadly, the lighting wasn't as colourful this time out as it was for their previous concert.  I did manage to get a beer arc, but it isn't as spectacular as his.  The other thing I was keeping my eyes peeled for was that at one point Joel O'Keeffe climbs onto the shoulders of a security guard and plays out into the crowd.  I knew that they'd be passing by directly where I was standing, so I was hoping to get a good shot of that.  In any event, it was a great night and I guess the only drawback to the fun that I was having taking all of my photographs was that I kind of wasn't paying as much attention to the actual show.  I tried not be be a camera junkie and have my camera in my hands at all times, but as I said way back in the first post of this series, I came home with 477 photographs, so I obviously didn't do as good of a job watching the show as opposed to photographing it.  Still, it was a great show and I ended up coming home with several cool photographs as well.  I consider that to be a pretty good night out.  The first photograph you saw here on the page was shot at f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/6.3, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  The fourth photograph was taken at f/5, 1/200sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm and the fourth photograph was taken at f/6.3, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm.  Though the light wasn't very colourful, it was bright enough to allow me to finally try out Pierre's tip by using a smaller aperture than f/2.8.  I think these shots ended up turning out pretty well.  Here are some more shots of Airbourne in action.

 f/4.5, 1/500sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm
Caught in mid-headbang

f/4.5, 1/200sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm
Going through the crowd with some well placed hand.

f/7.1, 1/320sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm
Rocking on the stage while Joel was going through the crowd...look where the others aren't

f/4.5, 1/500sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm

f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm
Beer arc!

f/5.6, 1/50sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm
My friend Louie kept wanting me to get a shot of the Marshall stacks

f/7.1, 1/160sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm
I hoped to get a shot of the dummer as well, but he wasn't in my sight line.

f/5, 1/250sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm
Thank-you Airbourne.

I had a great time photographing all three bands and I hope that you all get a feel for what a great show it was through my photos.  It was a great experience to roll through the aperture and ISO settings of my camera, trying to get the best combination possible to get my shots while not missing the action.  The only drawback was the very stubborn auto-focus button on my little 50mm lens.  I actually had a small blister on my finger from trying to switch it on and off so often.  A small price to pay.  It was great fun, I hope I get to do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment