Wednesday 1 October 2014

Touchdown!

A friend of mine currently plays football for the Champlain Cavaliers in Saint-Lambert.  He mentioned that his team would be playing a game this past Sunday and though I had something else planned, I managed to pass by long enough to catch a quarter of the game.  During that time, I was lucky enough to have a touchdown scored almost exactly where I was positioned.  Sadly, it wasn't Champlain that scored, but as a photographer I couldn't have been happier to capture the moment.  There's lots of action on the football field, and lots of people moving around.  That means using a large aperture and fast camera speeds to make sure that all of the action is not only in focus, but doesn't suffer from movement blur either.  I also put my camera in burst mode because in sports, if you see the moment, that means you missed the moment on camera.  I saw the quarterback get ready to throw and the receiver headed in my direction so I began shooting as soon as the quarterback began to throw and caught the whole scene.  The first photograph was taken at f/14, 1/320sec, ISO 400 at 105mm.  Here are the rest of the series.

f/14, 1/320sec, ISO 400 at 105mm

f/14, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 105mm

f/14, 1/200sec, ISO 400 at 105mm

f/14, 1/200sec, ISO 400 at 105mm

f/14, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 105mm

Because I was shooting in burst mode, there wasn't much of a change in how the photographs were shot.  The speed changed a little bit since I was shooting in AV.  I upped the ISO to 400 for these photos because after taking a few earlier shots at ISO 100, it wasn't giving me enough speed.  Boosting up to ISO 400 gave me the speed I needed, and enough leeway to shoot in AV and burst without having the shutter speed get to slow.  I took a few more photos during my time at the game and I'll share them with you at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment