Saturday 7 November 2015

Aphasia Fundraiser

A couple of Saturdays ago, a good friend of mine organized a fundraiser to try and raise some money for Aphasie Rive-Sud.  It's an organization that helps people affected by and families dealing with Aphasia.  Aphasia is a condition that reduces the affected persons ability to communicate.  The ability to read, write, speak and understand are diminished, though the intelligence of the person in question doesn't change.  Aphasia is usually caused by an injury to the brain, most often either a stroke, a trauma or a tumor.  My friends father had recently been diagnosed with the condition, thus her deciding to try and raise some funds, and some awareness, for the condition and this group that helps people deal with it.  She organized a spaghetti supper and a musical show, with all of the money raised being given to Aphasie Rive-Sud.  She brought in several of her friends to sing some songs, people some of you may remember as they belong to the Choeur Vives Voix, and I've photographed their shows for the last several years.  They all donated their time, others workers donated their time in the kitchen, and I donated my time as well by going in and photographing the show for them.  At last count, the evening had raised over $4000 for the organization, money that will be used to help people and their families to adapt to their condition.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 30mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/320sec, ISO 1000 at 70mm.  Here are some more photographs of the show.
f/4.5, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 60mm

f/3.5, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 70mm

f/4.5, 1/125sec, ISO 1250 at 68mm

f/4.5, 1/80sec, ISO 1250 at 54mm

f/4.5, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 60mm

f/3.5, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 28mm

I'd say that the evening was a success.  Everyone seemed to really enjoy myself, and from a personal standpoint, I had a great times as well.  The stage was kind of small, but they had rented a huge spotlight, which allowed me to use an ISO a little lower than the usual ISO 3200 that I use for the Choeur Vives Voix shows.  That meant less grain in the photographs.  The evening also gave me a chance to practice my shots using flash, something that always gives me a headache.  These, I think, came out pretty well.  I didn't have any flash created shadows in my photographs, and everyone seems well lit.  It was a fun night for everyone involved.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment