Sunday 24 January 2016

Family Ties

Those of you who visit my my Facebook page that is associated with this blog might have noticed a little change in the Profile Picture that is being used.  I then realized that the photograph that has been on that page longer than any other, had never even been given its own little entry on the blog.  So, now it's time to shine a little light on that photograph.  It's an old Brownie Target Six-20 and was made by the Kodak Company.  It was produced between 1946 and 1952.  It produced 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" negatives and could be bought for the low low price of $3.50.  It only had two f-stops, f11 and f16 and generally had a shutter speed of 1/125sec, though there was a tab you could pull out which would enable the user to open and close the shutter manually, and thus get a slower or faster shutter shutter speed.  When I began to get interested in photography, my mother passed this camera down to me.  It had belonged to my Grandmother, or Mémère as we called her, before that and was the first piece in a now growing collection of photography items.  I ended up taking this photograph while I was taking my courses at Concordia University.  It was for a course in Product Photography where we were asked to bring in items to photograph.  This seemed like a natural choice for me at the time.  The photograph was taken at f/10, 1/60sec, ISO 200 at 46mm.  It was shot on a plexiglass table, which combined with the lighting produced the reflection of the camera.  I really like that reflection, it kind of makes the camera look grand in my eyes.  Mind you, knowing the heritage of this camera, and also knowing that it was used by Mémère, it was already rather grand to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment