Sunday 10 July 2016

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Canada

My Lovely Assistant is quick to remind me that often during the walk home from a fireworks exhibition I'm often a little down as I feel that I've not a good job of capturing the display that took place in the sky.  This time, it was a little bit of the opposite.  I was quite happy with my shots, especially considering that they took place during a very overcast night where low winds and humidity caused the smoke to move out of the way more slowly than usual.  It was only after I got home that I noticed I wouldn't be able to properly crop the photographs as I had wanted.  I used this location once before a few years ago.  Part of the fun for me is getting the metal superstructure of the bridge into the shots with the fireworks exploding over it.  My plan was to keep the superstructure in the top, right hand corner, and let the fireworks fill the rest of the space.  I thought I had positioned myself properly, but I think I was a little bit to far to the right.  To compensate, I ended up moving the fireworks more to the right of my photographs, or leaving a bit more sky that I would have wanted in the photographs where I kept the fireworks on the left.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 5sec, ISO 100 at 28mm and the second photograph was taken at f/13, 8sec, ISO 100 at 28mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during the show.
f/13, 6sec, ISO 100 at 28mm

f/13, 6sec, ISO 100 at 28mm

f/13, 1sec, ISO 100 at 28mm

f/13, 10sec, ISO 100 at 28mm

It was Canada's turn to light up the sky and the fireworks were handled by Big Bang Fireworks, a company from Calgary with 18 years of experience, but making their first appearance here in Montreal.  I'm sure that the photographs are fine, but in my head there is still that tinge of disappointment over having missed the composition I was looking for.  I might try to redeem myself at this location before the competition comes to an end.






No comments:

Post a Comment