Saturday 29 October 2016

Dorothy At The Metropolis

It was another triple-header show at le Métropolis in Montreal.  We'll get to the other two acts in due time, but the show opened with a performance by Dorothy, a fairly new group out of Los Angeles and fronted by Dorothy Martin.  Obligatory jokes were made about the fact that it was odd to see Dorothy in concert without Toto, which is of course funny because both are bands as well as being characters in The Wizard of Oz.  I hope the audience at home appreciated my attempt at humour, but even if you didn't, it went over well live with my friends.  Jokes aside, I was once again happy to be able to bring my camera to the show.  It adds to the fun for me, and of course allows me take a couple keepsakes of the night home with me and to share with those of you out there who visit.  I didn't know much about Dorothy before the show, so I was looking forward to discovering a new band. They put on a very good show, in particular the guitarist who was a bundle of energy as he bounced and played around the stage.  Not being the most knowledgeable person when it comes to fashion, I found the hat that Dorothy wore to be interesting, but then again, I'm the guy who has been wearing the same baseball cap that is falling apart at the seams for almost 15 years now.  I'd also like to know what the reasoning is behind the opening acts always having such poor lighting.  I understand that most of the lights need to be placed in such a way that the headliners stage set-up gets priority, but as someone shooting photographs from the crowd, I'd sure appreciate an added spotlight of two.  Sure, my shooting photographs from the crowd is far from being a priority, infact it's probably even looked down upon, but a guy can dream, right?  The first photograph was taken at f/2.5, 1/50sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm and the second photograph was taken at f/2.2, 1/80sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  Here are a few more photographs.

f/2.8, 1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/2.8, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/40sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/25sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/2.5, 1/40sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

Using such a high ISO and still not getting any fast shutter speeds had me worried, but I was still able to squeeze out a couple of decent shots.  They're grainier that I would like and not tack sharp, but I'm happy with them.  At the end of the day, that's what matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment