Wednesday 1 February 2017

Classique Montréalaise

As previously mentioned, I spent Sunday afternoon down at the Olympic Basin where there was a huge outdoor hockey tournament taking place.  Called the Classique Montréalaise, it brought teams of players from all over the greater Montreal area to compete in this event, which is part of the large 375th anniversary celebrations taking place this year in Montréal.  It was kind of a grey day, but I was expecting there to be more people on hand.  Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was the location, but those who weren't there missed lots of fun action.  I've shot photographs at hockey games before, but I usually try to just focus on the goaltender and wait for the action to arrive in the crease.  That plan was quickly thrown for a loop when I arrived on the site and noticed that there were no goaltenders to be found.  Instead, in order to score a goal, the teams needed to shoot the puck into these very small mini nets that were placed at each end of the rink.  From my years of watching hockey, I knew that the game photographers are usually either up in the stands, or up against the glass in the corner of the rink.  Since there were no stands to watch from, I tried to place myself in the corners.  Luckily, several games were being played because it wasn't until the third one that I watched where my hands were finally catching up to the skaters.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/640sec, ISO 100 at 70mm and the second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/640sec, ISO 100 at 46mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took while watching the games.

f/5.6, 1/1000sec, ISO 400 at 48mm

f/5.6, 1/3200sec, ISO 800 at 70mm

f/5.6, 1/3200sec, ISO 800 at 70mm

f/5.6, 1/1000sec, ISO 400 at 70mm

f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO 100 at 59mm

As I said above, I think lots of people missed out on an amusing afternoon of hockey.  In addition to the games, there were appearances from former players from the Montreal Canadiens, there was music under a tent and various other performers walking around the area.  Lots of fun for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment