Thursday 18 May 2017

It's Time To Light The Lights

Yesterday, the city of Montreal celebrated its 375th Anniversary and the star attraction in a day full of events was the illumination of the Jacques Cartier Bridge.  They've been running some tests of the lights over the last several weeks, and though I may not agree with the price tag attached to the project, I must admit that the nights where the lights were being tested made the structure look pretty good.  So, as May 17th approached, I tried to think of where I could stick my camera and myself to grab some nice photographs of the event.  The immediate answer was the La Ronde parking lot on Île Sainte-Hélène.  However, much like most of my answers on my Secondary IV Physics Exam, it wasn't the right answer.  Now, before I get all 'woe is me', I must admit that I do like these photographs.  I got some nice shots of the structure of the bridge, some of the different light schemes, and some nice shots of the fireworks that accompanied the show.  The only problem is that I wanted to get some shots of the entire bridge, not just half of it. I arrived at the park about two hours before showtime only to discover that my first desired location was roped off by the police.  So were the second and third options.  Since I've photographed the bridge from several angles, I had a few secret passageways up my sleeve.  One such pathway led me past the original security fence and my false sense of accomplishment lasted for a few minutes before I noticed that I had been noticed by the policewoman who was now walking my way.  In defeat, I managed to find a spot in between the people and the trees that afforded me a clear view of at least half of the bridge.  I decided to take what I could get.  Which all things considered, wasn't that bad at all.  The first photograph on the page was taken at f/11, 44sec, ISO 100 at 70mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/11, 13sec, ISO 100 at 70mm and the third photograph was taken at f/11, 15sec, ISO 100 at 70mm.  Here are a couple more photographs that I took during the rest of the light show on the bridge.

f/11, 13sec, ISO 100 at 24mm

f/11, 10sec, ISO 100 at 24mm

f/11, 25sec, ISO 100 at 24mm

It was announced today that they'll be re-doing the light show at a later date due to some distractions caused by a group of protesting police officers.  This will give me another opportunity to shoot the show from a different angle.  I just need to choose one that won't be surrounded by the police.






No comments:

Post a Comment